Mr. Deatherage is the President and senior engineer at Copper State Engineering, Inc., (CSE). He has 37 years of geotechnical engineering experience in the southwest, and graduated with a Masters of Science degree in Civil Engineering from ASU in 1980. His experience includes work in the following areas:
- Geotechnical investigation and foundation design recommendations for commercial, industrial and private residence structures.
- Forensic review of foundation damage aggravated by collapsing and expansive soils and low density fills.
- Earth structure embankment and lined impoundment design, including static and seismic slope stability, seepage, and settlement analyses.
- Geotechnical testing, instrumentation and monitoring system development, including piezometer and inclinometer installation, monitoring and reporting.
- Construction engineering including management of earthwork, concrete and asphalt pavement construction monitoring and testing.
- Professional consultation and expert witness services for geotechnical and civil issues.Related Experience:Principal engineer for geotechnical investigation, testing and design for numerous solar photovoltaic array facilities in Arizona, Nevada and California. Installed steel H-pile foundations and conducted pull out and lateral resistance testing. Other site testing included geotechnical, resistivity, chemical corrosion, and thermal resistivity. Work included a seismic and subsidence analysis for California and Nevada sites.Senior geotechnical engineer for investigation of slope failures and design and construction monitoring of new soil nail walls and slope reinforcement. Projects include forensic reviews of failures in Prescott, Parker, and the Phoenix Mountains. New slope reinforcement and soil nail wall projects include sites in the greater Phoenix area, Clifton, Flagstaff, Sedona and Tucson.Civil engineering consultant for the Legend Trail Home Owner’s Association in north Scottsdale. Services include review of as-constructed drainage improvement features, and annual assessment of repair and maintenance needs for storm water drainage systems.
Forensic civil engineer and mitigation designer for the Desert Mountain Home Owner’s Association Sunset Canyon flooding issues. Work included expert witness services, hydraulic modeling and redesign of culvert drainage system as part of a legal case.
Geotechnical consultant for commercial development on northeast corner of Interstate 10 and Ray Road in Chandler, Arizona. Project included providing numerous geotechnical investigations for restaurants and a multi-story hotel. Construction testing was provided for three of the restaurants.
Principal geotechnical engineer for numerous geotechnical investigations for Kvaerner, Hatch and Alcoa/Jamalco, in Clarendon, Jamaica. Work included geotechnical recommendations for railways, bridges, dams, relocation developments, and heavy industrial buildings and tank structures.
Project Leader for hundreds of geotechnical and civil projects at BHP’s Pinto Valley, KGHM’s Carlotta, Rosemont Copper, FMI’s Miami and Cyprus Tohono mines in Arizona. Projects included investigation, design and construction monitoring work related to infrastructure improvements, storm water diversion and containment, and copper heap leach and rapid return pad designs.
Geotechnical engineer for the investigation and recommendations for numerous sites located in northern Arizona, including Kayenta, Tuba City, Chinle, and Window Rock. Projects included identification of shallow groundwater conditions and moisture sensitive collapsible and expansive soils. Designed a shielded steel H-Pile foundation system for new classroom and library buildings at the Many Farms High School. Performed load tests on piles, and monitored construction of the driven H-Pile foundation system.
Project geotechnical engineer for the Town of Buckeye Wastewater Treatment Plant multi- year series of expansions. Work included drilling, sampling and testing and development of foundation recommendations in site with shallow groundwater, as well as review of soil nail tied-back excavations and dewatering during construction.
Principal design engineer for investigation and design of a 700,000 square feet HDPE geomembrane lined repository with 1,000,000 cubic yards of storage to permanently contain salt-impacted mining materials at a mining facility in southern Arizona. Storm water diversions and channels were included for the repository and the reclaimed areas.
Principal geotechnical engineer for hundreds of geotechnical investigations in the greater Phoenix area, Bisbee, Casa Grande, Coolidge, Chinlee, Flagstaff, Gila Bend, Globe/Miami, Kingman, Lake Havasu, Kayenta, Morenci, Nogales, Payson, Parker, Prescott, Quartzite, Safford, Sedona, Show Low, Springerville, Tonopah, Tucson, Wickenburg and Yuma. Specialized soil testing and investigations related to expansive and collapsing soil foundation failures.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering – ASU, Tempe, Arizona, 1977.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering – ASU, Tempe, Arizona, 1980.
- Geotechnical Aspects of Tailings Impoundments – Colorado State University, 1982.
- Seismic Design and Analysis of Small and Medium Earth and Rockfill Dams -University of Missouri, 1986.
- Designing with Geotextiles- International Geotextile Society, 1989.
- Asphalt Institute – Design Asphalt Pavements for Highways and Streets, 1992.
- Design of Waste Containment Liner and Final Closure Systems, ASCE, 1997.
- Filter and Drain Design – Bureau of Reclamation, West Regional Technical Seminar,Association of State Dam Officials, 1999.
- Roller Compacted Concrete and Soil-Cement for Dams and Erosion Control,Portland Cement Association, 2002.Professional Registration
Registered Professional Engineer in Arizona since 1983, registration number 15592 Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Civil Engineers (41 years)
- Society of Mining Engineers (26 years)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (13 years)Previous and Current Employment
Sergent Hauskins & Beckwith (SHB) Geotechnical Engineers (EIT- PE) Dames & Moore Geotechnical and Environmental Consultants (PE) Delta Environmental Consultants (Manager of Arizona Engineering) Development Engineering, Inc. (Vice Pres. Of Geotechnical Services)
Copper State Engineering, Inc. (Sr. Geotechnical Engineer, Principal)
- Lifeline Pipe Joint Testing. Singhal and Deatherage, Society of Experimental Stress Analyses, 1980.
- Restoration of McMicken Dam. Deatherage, Beckwith, Hansen. Proc. of Third International Conference on Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Vienna Austria, 1986.
- Shear Testing of Geomembrane Soil Interfaces. Deatherage and Fahy. Geotechnical Aspects of Heap Leach Design, Society of Mining Engineers, 1987.
- Design and Construction of Lower Chase Creek Dam. Urlich, Deatherage, Rahe,and Dunne, ASCE Conference on Roller Compacted Concrete, 1988.
- Repair of the Czar Shaft Sinkhole. Deatherage, Starkey, and Gustavson. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surface Miningand Reclamation, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1996.